8.01.2013

Oh Y'all Ain't Ever Gonna Believe This ...


I admit. I've been a little lost. I created this blog a few years back and had no clue what to do with it. Do I blog about food? But that would mean I have to cook a lot. I like to cook. I like to bake. I just don't like doing it when I feel like I HAVE to do it. So do I blog about my family? Well, on one side, my family is freakin' hilarious. On the other side, I like some modicum of privacy. So do I blog about politics? Well, after all, I was a newspaper gal and am a self-professed news junkie. But let's face it. There are a lot of idiots out there who have plenty to say about politics and more than eager to shove their views in your face in the most obnoxious way. I don't like idiots. I really dislike obnoxious idiots even more. Then I had an epiphany.

"What would I do with my life if I had no other alternative?" If I had the choice, without consideration of money or other concerns, to do or be THAT thing, what would I do? Without hesitation, I thought, "I would tell stories." I would write, speak, act, sing, promote, and seek stories to tell, fiction and non-fiction.

Aside from my children, I love telling stories and teaching others how to tell their stories. If there are techie things involved, that's a bonus.  Now I joke that there are two ways people begin stories. In most places, you have "once upon a time." In the Deep South, where I live, y'all have "oh, you ain't gonna believe this."

Storytelling is more than just relaying a tale. It's bringing history to the present. It's bringing people into the lives of others and vice versa. It declaring injustice, promoting compassion, and invoking activism. It is about passion and promotion. It's about creativity and imagination. It's about truth and facts. 

So here it goes. Oh, y'all ain't gonna believe this...