3.22.2007

Truths

In the five years I have been a parent, I’ve realized that children are refreshingly, and, at times, disturbingly honest. I remember one day when my youngest missed her nap and was extremely fussy. I said, “I think you’re very sleepy.” To which my two-year-old daughter retorted, “I not sleepy! I just cranky!” I also remember sitting in a service when my oldest was about three. The pastor was getting extremely excited in his preaching, getting louder which each point. She turned to me and said, “I think he needs to use his inside voice.”

Here are some letter written to pastors from children:

  • Dear Pastor, I know God loves everybody but He never met my sister.
  • Dear Pastor, My dad should be a minister. Every day he gives us a sermon about something.
  • Dear Pastor, I think a lot more people would come to your church if you moved it to Disneyland.
  • Dear Pastor, My father says I should learn the Ten Commandments. But I don't think I want to because we have enough rules already in my house.
  • Dear Pastor, I liked your sermon on Sunday, especially when it was finished.

We all need a dose of honesty in our lives. Sometimes it’s humorous. Other times, it’s painful. But truth, whether it comes from the mouth of babes or the Word of God, is meant to set us free. It isn’t something to be feared or evaded. The truth is something to be embraced. It is something to hold on to when you have nothing else to hold on to. While we listen and chuckle at these truths from children, we also need to remember some truths from God.

  • You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
  • I will never leave you nor forsake you.
  • What the Son has set free is free indeed.
  • Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.
  • His mercies are new every morning.
  • In His presence there is indeed fullness of joy.
  • They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
  • I know the plans I have for you.
  • Who so finds me finds life and shall obtain favor.
  • They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint.
And with these truths, we can be indeed set free.