3.13.2007

Procrastinators Unite ... Tomorrow

Procrastination is defined as the avoidance or putting off of an action or task. Some theories state that it's because the procrastinator is a perfectionist. This person stresses about not fulfilling his or her commitment or responsibilities. Another theory is that the person is just plain lazy. But in counseling terms, it's "relaxed procrastination."

Some people see it as a sin, others say it's more of a psychological defect or character flaw. I beg to differ. Procrastinators are not flawed. We are just reprioritize. While putting off what we should be doing, we catch up on things we had to do the other times. We play games on the computer. We take a nap. We catch up on laundry. We scribble charts about how we want to redecorate our home. We remake schedules that we will keep when we get around to it. We write blogs.

Procrastinators have a lot on their plates. We have endless "to do" lists. We just shuffle things around based on what is important enough to do that day. It's purely subjective. I, for one, have a page full on my list. I know, I know. Why don't I simplify the list? Well, it's simple. The more I have the more options I have of which one moves to the top. It's selfish, really. Deadlines are subjective. So are appointment times. Some procrastinators are often late because they are in the middle of doing something else, other than what they need to do to leave on time. Hmmmm. Being late. That's something else I need to work on. . . maybe next week.