5.09.2014

#BringBackOurGirls Makes Me ...

#BringBackOurGirls
Unless you are a Luddite or have abstained from media, you have more likely seen the #BringBackOurGirls campaign. Pundits, politicians, and even pinheads have opined on the kidnapping of nearly 280 school girls by the Boko Haram terrorist group. While I applaud the concerted efforts and activism of many to bring indignation and resolution to this travesty of human rights, I find it all, well, sad.

It is sad that prior to these abductions, these girls were anonymous to the world. Their struggles were not a thought in our preoccupied minds. We were not aware of their plight and passion for education. We were oblivious to their dreams of being more and achieving more. While we were seized with super-sized conundrums, they were envisioning personal accomplishment only afforded by being educated.

It is sad that social media is fickle. There is what others refer to as an “acid test” to determine the sustainability of a story to hold our interests. For one thing, I’m glad to take a break from the glut of selfies and feline fixation that bombard my screens. However, this isn’t a slow news week. It’s a long, hard road for these girls.


It is sad that disillusioned men who supposedly serve a mighty God would prevent and oppress others, preventing them from using their God-given gifts. These girls were aware of dangers in seeking an education; yet they were courageous. I often gripe about the glass-ceiling when these girls are surrounded by concrete obstacles.

It is sad that we expect to be heroes, when these girls need allies. There is neither a theatrical happy-ending nor a marvelous character to swoop in and save the day. You see, heroes are temporary. They go away after the lauds and euphoric climax. Allies stay. They work with you, stand by you, help you, protect you, and commit to you. These are OUR girls, and they should remain OUR girls.

Please, don’t misunderstand. I, by no means, am flogging the efforts of this campaign. We all want a positive outcome: seeing these girls returned, unharmed, and soon.  The girls, ranging in ages 12-15, are the same age as my oldest. My daughter is intelligent, ambitious, creative, kind-hearted, courageous, and gifted. She goes to school. She excels in school.

Then, I think about those girls who also encompass those characteristics and the cruel, heartless transgression against them. I think about how I didn’t know about them until now. I think about how I was more concerned about whether a super-sized order of fries would fit into my diet, instead of fitting more activism and awareness into my world. … So, I must confess, that it doesn’t make me sad. It doesn’t make me feel guilty. What it does is get me pissed…enough to be involved and stay involved. #BringBackOurGirls